Career Opportunities for Students in Miami
Miami is known for its significant architecture, lively night life, and of course its magnificent Atlantic Ocean beach. But if you teach high school in the Miami metro area, you know that the young people of Miami could be the city’s greatest asset. They’re ethnically diverse, often multilingual, and excited because the area offers an unequalled variety of employment opportunities and careers.
Whether your students want to work in travel, high-tech, or in the arts, Miami offers an unusual array of opportunities. It’s an exciting place to be, and that makes it an unusually exciting place to be an educator.
Major Companies Doing Business in the Miami Area
According to Zippia.com, a firm that compiles employment data, some of the largest and most important employers in the area are:
- Ernst & Young
Energy and commodities:
- World Fuel Services
Financial services and banking:
- Bank of America
- JP Morgan Chase
- Wells Fargo
Health care and pharmaceuticals:
- VITAS Healthcare
- Baptist Health
- Nicklaus Children’s Hospital
- OPKO Health
Hotels and hospitality:
- All major U.S. chains
Real estate and construction:
- Harvard Maintenance
- Keystone Holdings
- Lennar Homebuilders
- PEAK Holdings
Retail and retail management:
- Home Depot
- Whole Foods
- United Parcel Service
- Royal Caribbean
- Norwegian Cruise Lines
What Jobs Are these Companies Hiring For?
Our analysis of job listings in the Miami area shows that these are the most in-demand entry and middle-level opportunities for job-hunters in today:
- Architecture and engineering
- Art, design, entertainment, museum, and sports jobs
- Banking and financial service jobs
- Building and site maintenance positions
- Computer occupations of all kinds
- Education, training, and library jobs
- Health care
- Retail positions of all kinds
- School, childcare and teaching support jobs
- Security, protective services, and law enforcement
Recent Business News in the Miami Area
- According to NBC South Florida News, the city of Miami has just given $8.5 million in business grants to small area businesses to help them remain open during the pandemic and recover afterward.
- According to the Miami Herald, Miami Beach is planning to develop a new business district in the Lincoln Road area.
Colleges for Your Students to Consider in Miami
Where can students pursue studies at the college level in the state that can prepare them for jobs that are available today? Here’s a partial list.
- Atlantis University
- Barry University
- Everglades University
- Florida Atlantic University
- Florida International University
- Memorial Miami University
- Miami Dade College
- Miami International University of Art and Design
- Palm Beach Atlantic University
- Thomas University
- University of Miami
We Invite You to Explore Your Students’ College & Career Options with Us . . .
Participate in the National Career & College Pathway Study to gain new insights about making educational decisions that align with your interests, passions, and aptitudes. Participants will receive information on college and career opportunities that match their interests.
Denver an Emerging Tech Center with Career Opportunities
An Educator’s Guide to Career Opportunities in San Jose, California
This City is an Emerging Tech Center
21 Careers for the 21st Century
Helping Students Choose a Major
STEM Careers: Two Mega-Trends for Students to Watch in Year 2020 and Beyond
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!