“Want to Get Ahead? Pick the Right Company,” an article by Lauren Weber and Theo Francis in The Wall Street Journal on October 14th, summarizes the findings of a five-year analysis of career mobility that was recently completed by the Burning Glass Institute, a Philadelphia-based think tank.
The study focused on career advancement in jobs that don’t necessarily require a college degree, yet the results are important for guidance counselors, teachers, parents, and others who guide young people as they prepare for careers and apply for jobs.
Here are nine factors that the researchers considered as they chose companies that offer the greatest opportunities for younger employees:
- Barriers: Does the company hire workers without bachelor’s degrees?
- Entry level: Does the company hire inexperienced workers?
- Level change: Does the company promote workers?
- Retention: Does the company retain workers for five years or more?
- Top-down: Does the company fill top jobs from within?
- Velocity: How long does it take for workers to advance one level in the company?
- Wages: Does the company offer competitive wages within each occupation?
- Promoting up: Does the company fill openings through internal promotions?
- Promoting out: Do workers go to higher-level jobs upon leaving the company?
Here are the 20 top-rated companies for younger employees that the study identified:
- American Express
- Cisco Systems
- HF Sinclair
- Liberty Mutual Insurance
- International Paper
- Southwest Airlines
- Kinder Morgan
- Wesco International
- Fannie Mae
- Hartford Financial
- TD Synnex
- Wells Fargo
- Capital One
To learn more about top-rated employers for younger employees who are just beginning their careers, you will want to read this article in The Wall Street Journal.
National Student Research Study
If you are a high school educator, be sure to have your students participate in our national student research. This study benefits your students, educators, and non-profits working with youth. Fill out our quick and easy survey request form and get involved in this important work!